It’s not really a secret that many women have an unhealthy relationship with food, their bodies, and dieting. But, did you know dieting can also affect your period and, in turn, your fertility? Take a listen to this week’s episode to learn more!
Melissa Kathryn is a nutritionist and weight loss and lifestyle expert. Through her holistic weight loss and lifestyle practice, Melissa is dedicated to helping women free themselves from dieting, emotional eating and self-sabotage cycles, and making peace with food, themselves, and their bodies, so they thrive in life in a body they love.
In this episode, we talk about how cultural messages on the ideal woman’s physique impacts girls from a young age, the connection between your diet and a healthy cycle, how yo-yo dieting can cause you to lose your period, the importance of body wisdom, and so much more!
- Melissa’s experience of losing her period due to yo-yo dieting
- How the cultural ideal of “the thinner you are, the better” is harming young girls’ perceptions of themselves and women’s fertility
- The surprising prevalence of diets for girls as young as 10 years old
- The importance of healthy fats when it comes to having a healthy cycle
- Why we should be having healthy conversations around nutrition with children, especially young girls
- The huge impact of instilling in children a positive body image and belief in self
- What body wisdom means and why it’s so important for women to reconnect with their innate intuitive ability
- How diets cause women to start disconnecting from themselves and their bodies
- Why Melissa doesn’t want anybody to be Superwoman
- How Melissa helps women lose weight by becoming re-inspired by their lives
- Melissa’s best tip for forgiving yourself and changing your relationship with yourself after years of yo-yo dieting
- How feelings of shame and guilt can cause women to disassociate from their femininity and unconsciously contribute to weight gain
I Feel Pretty (The Amy Schumer Movie Melissa Mentions)