Not all hormones are created equally. Dr. Brooke Kalanick talks about how you can use the hormone hierarchy to develop a healthy approach to correcting hormone imbalances.
Dr. Brooke Kalanick is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor (ND) and functional medicine practitioner who helps women reset their hormones, their heads, and their habits, so they can finally feel at home in their bodies. Dr. Brooke’s postdoctoral training in women’s health and functional endocrinology, as well as her personal battle with PCOS, led her to specialize in female hormone issues. She is also the co-host of the Sarah & Dr. Brooke Show and co-author of Hangry: Balance Your Hormones and Rediscover Your Joy in Five Simple Steps.
In this episode, we talk about how you can use the hormone hierarchy to develop a healthy approach to correcting hormone imbalances, the importance of understanding the signals your hormones send to your body, why insulin and cortisol have a higher priority than estrogen and progesterone in the hormone hierarchy, common hormone disruptors you may not be aware of, and so much more!
- Using the hormone hierarchy to navigate the overwhelming amount of nutrition and fitness information available
- Brooke’s experiences with PCOS and hormonal imbalance
- The importance of understanding the signals your hormones send to your body
- Why women have to take a different approach to their hormonal system than men
- Understanding that finding the right balance for your hormonal health is a process
- Why estrogen and progesterone are at the bottom of the hormone hierarchy
- The profound ripple effect of insulin and cortisol imbalance on our bodies
- Common hormone disruptors that women may not be aware of
- Causes and symptoms of inflammation
- Why a focus on the ovaries for menstrual and fertility issues is an incomplete approach
- How the current medical system of specialists hinders the big-picture view of your reproductive and hormonal health
- What you need to consider before starting the ketogenic diet