Male Fertility : Are his swimmers up to scratch?

Men are as equally important as women when it comes to fertility – perhaps even more than you think. In the clinic we often treat both partners to achieve maximum results, as we know men make up approximately 60% of the equation when it comes to health and fertility. Quality of semen has decreased by up to 50% in recent years – men are ejaculating half the amount of sperm they were in the past – this may be one reason why we continue to see infertility rates rise. (Andrew Orr, 2010.)

Fortunately, men’s reproductive function is usually very easy to treat with Chinese Medicine (CM). Western Medicine often falls short in being able to offer treatment for sperm issues and is increasingly acknowledging need to turn to alternative therapies to assist in treatment.(Medscape -Curr Drug Metab. 2005; 6 (5): 495-501-Mechanisms of male infertility: Role of antioxidants)

There is so much we can offer in the clinic to improve men’s fertility, sperm quality and overall reproductive function. It is important to remember that fertility isn’t separate from overall health – so if semen analysis results suggest that your partner’s swimmers are struggling, there is a good chance that there are other areas of his health that would benefit from some treatment – as well as diet and lifestyle changes.

It is important we look at each case individually as there are several elements of sperm that can show up as problematic. Motility, Abnormality and Low Sperm Count are all important aspects that need to be considered. Levels of these may vary between males. This knowledge allows us to make our treatment specific, achieving quicker results. It is imperative that I study each males semen analysis results. Levels of just 14% (of motility, count & morphology) are considered fine by fertility doctors. This figure can certainly be improved, which in turn brings about substantially higher chances of conception, and much healthier sperm. If only 14% are doing what they are supposed to – what are the other 86% doing? Maybe swimming in the wrong direction? It’s certainly worth investing into.

Men handle stress differently to women. Stress is a major contributor to infertility, as is poor diet, inadequate exercise, excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, generally poor lifestyle habits and constitutional weakness. Many of us can tick a few of these boxes, and so changes can be quickly seen once these areas are addressed.

As with all good treatments, CM is about making positive long lasting changes without nasty and toxic side effects. Sperm take 120 days to fully regenerate. Whilst this may sound like a long time, the outcome during and beyond this time can be quite remarkable. In any case, from the instant that positive changes are made, the body begins repairing and increased fertility can be certain.


  • May 16, 2012 By Vanessa 9:59 am

    Great article!

    My Husband has just been told he has low morphology. Can you give me some ideas on some Vitamins etc he can take to improve this? Unfortunately we can’t visit you as we live in the Pilbara, Western Australia which has no Alternative Therapy specialists. We are a 12 hour drive from Perth. All this makes the fertility game even harder 🙁

  • October 7, 2014 By zaljubise 4:07 am

    Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Many thanks,
    Hwever I am encountering issues wioth your RSS. I don’t understand why I cannot
    join it. Is there anyone else getting the same RSS problems?
    Anybody who knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanx!!

  • October 7, 2014 By 8:30 am

    This design is steller! You certainly know how to keep a reader amused.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well,
    almost…HaHa!) Fantastic job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that,
    how you presented it. Too cool!

  • October 7, 2014 By fogyókúra tabletta 8:57 am

    I’m truly enjoying tthe design and layout of yopur site.
    It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable foor me
    to come here and visit more often. Diid you hire ouut a developer
    to create your theme? Superb work!

  • October 8, 2014 By хапчета за отслабване 2:35 pm

    At this moment I am ready to do my breakfast, once having
    my breakfast coming over again to read more news.

  • October 10, 2014 By web page 2:18 pm

    Hello, yeah this post is inn fact nice and I have learned lot of things from it regarding blogging.

  • October 11, 2014 By ljubavni horoskop 5:41 pm

    Very giod blog post. I definitely lovce this website. Keep writing!

  • December 2, 2014 By Lakeisha 4:44 am

    My brother suggested I would possibly like this web site.
    He used to be totally right. This submit actually made my
    day. You can not imagine simply how so much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *